Monday, December 5, 2011

Teacher Education

     The state of Iowa is proposing a requirement for candidates of teacher education programs to have a minimum of a 3.0 GPA. An argument against this is that it would turn away potentially great teachers. The argument for it, according to Gov. Terry Branstad is that we need to have high standards for our teachers.

     Is it's a mixed bag. Both arguments have some validity. However, I am inclined to agree that minimum requirements are necessary. Most graduate teacher education programs in my state, Illinois, require a 3.0. And most Universities mention a minimum 3.0 GPA, even with some concessions made. So, the question becomes, is this proposed requirement a shock, or a step finally made in the right direction? I am inclined to think, when I do have children, that my children's teachers had at least a B level understanding of the high school material they may be teaching to my child.

No comments:

Post a Comment